Sunday, 17 February 2013

Contributions in kind to RRSP or TFSA

When  cash is not available other qualified assets can instead be contributed to Tax Free Savings Account or Registered Retirement Saving Plans. Qualified assets include shares traded on recognized stock exchanges. However, beware that the transer could trigger a capital gain if the assets transferred have increased in value and have unrealized gains. But if your stocks are in a loss position the transfer will result in the non-recognition of that loss and your inability to use those potential capital losses against future capital gains.  For more information on superficial losses, TFSA and RRSP visit my website

This blog is for general information only and cannot replace professional advice.
The reader is invited to contact the writer to discuss the contents of the newsletter.
Readers are advised to seek professional advice before acting on the material
in this newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment